TELL ME IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU:
You’ve been trying to lose weight for a while now, and the weight loss starts off going really well. Eventually, it slows down or stops altogether and you decide to cut your calories further or do more cardio. While that works for a little while, your progress plateaus yet again. You become discouraged and start to stray from your workouts and begin to restrict food again only to punish yourself. You beat yourself up for having something you want after splurging on the weekends and feel like this is never-ending. This cycle is repeated until you are likely eating an absurdly low amount of calories and doing quite a bit of cardio or nothing at all because you want to quit. You might feel fatigued, hungry, defeated, and have little enjoyment for your activities.
Maybe both your workout progress and weight loss have stalled and you are feeling a sense of failure? The thought of cutting calories even further sounds like a nightmare? But you still have quite a bit of weight to lose and can’t even fathom thinking about another “diet.”
None of this makes sense to you because eating less and exercising more is supposed to result in weight loss. Why is all this “hard work” not getting you any results?
THIS IS WHERE I COME IN...
At KMF we want to help bring more clarity and less confusion to your nutrition journey.
THE CASE FOR REVERSE DIETING
The reason for your stalled progress is quite simple, actually. When you cut calories, however small your deficit might be, your metabolism begins to down-regulate. In an effort to conserve its energy for survival, your body begins to manufacture less metabolism-friendly hormones like thyroid, testosterone, and leptin so that your body can reach homeostasis.
For a simple picture of how this happens, take a 500 calorie daily deficit. This is supposed to result in about a pound of weight loss per week. But that is not going to happen forever, or you would obviously wilt to nothing.
Along the way in the weight loss process your body begins to slow down its metabolism to conserve valuable energy (fat, glycogen). Eat at that original 500 calorie deficit long enough, and your weight loss will eventually level out and then stagnate.
Reverse dieting helps you restore your metabolism to a much higher level so that you have a better “base” to cut calories from. Starting your weight loss at 2500 calories is going to leave you a lot more room to cut calories as compared to if you started off at 1800 calories.
The former will result in slower, yet more sustained weight loss over time. The latter will likely result in fast weight loss, quickly followed by stagnation, frustration, and then a falling into the yo-yo dieting trap.
START REVERSE DIETING
With the Help of a Macro Coach
The idea is simple and the name explains it all. What you do is slowly start adding calories back into your diet. I would recommend adding in about 5% more calories on a weekly basis. This equates to about 50-100 calories more per day.
Many people immediately cringe at the thought of adding calories into their weight loss diet. They are flat out afraid of putting on weight. These people are usually the ones who are already eating very low calories (usually below their BMR), and the concept of reverse dieting (eating more to lose more) just doesn’t “click” with them.
But let me tell you what you can expect, and this comes from my own personal experience as well as seeing hundreds of other people implement reverse dieting into their own nutrition.
You immediately notice a boost in energy. Your motivation returns and you start looking forward to your workouts again. Your hunger decreases, and all the feelings of extreme restriction start to moderate. Your weight, surprisingly, starts to slowly decrease again – completely flying in the face of all logic.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!
Let me and my coaches create a custom plan just for you, your body type, your lifestyle, and goals.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR MACRO COACHING PLAN?
1. Complete personalized program custom to your specific needs with access to helpful Food List PDFs and other helpful tips for strategic macro meal planning. Shopping starter lists, GF, Dairy-free options.
2. Structured meal pairing to balance blood sugar and stay satiated. We design meals that would build easily and hit your macro basic goals.
3. Access to Travel handouts & tips for “Eating Out” and Restaurant advice. We are dedicated to teaching this so that you can maintain your goals when you are at a place to maintain.
4. Weekly thorough “macro check-in“ through email and daily help filling macros in our group coaching system.
5. EDUCATION – Weekly Monday 5 PM MST coaching sessions with Kelli Michelle in our live FB group. START ROCKING MACROS KMF. These courses can be reviewed anytime.
6. VOXER VOICE / TEXT coaching in our APP with group help after hours and on Saturday.
7. Tracking with Myfitnesspal / Tutorials and better your best videos for utilizing Myfitnesspal. Place holders for restaurant eating estimates from our team on how to format meals and vacations.
8. Performance Nutrition is also INCLUDED as well for people competing in running, weight training, and lifting competitions if needed.
9. Autoimmune – Type 2 / Blood sugar pairing requirements ( FOODS for Best PAIRING) issued also in programming for clients with insulin resistance or AUTOIMMUNE. We also work with people who have food intolerances. Your macros can still be tracked!
GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE & FOOD RESTRICTIONS ARE NOT AN ISSUE FOR OUR MACRO PROGRAMS.
10. Behavior change- We can help give you tools to address stress eating, binge eating, boredom eating as well as restriction. This is common practice for yo-yo dieters and clients with a restrictive eating past.**
** This may be something our coaches ask for assistance with in terms of counseling or further attention from a specialist if the disordered eating is extreme and out of the scope of practice.